Sunday, March 06, 2011

Life is good

Right very now, I have a tummy full of spaghetti after a very busy day and am feeling like I'm living the good life. I've got a warm house, a roof, a pantry and a tummy full of food, a husband and offspring that I'm rather fond of, a cat that isn't actively evil, and nobody is shooting with guns outside my house terribly often. I call this the good life.
I spent most of yesterday wearing comfortable clothes, watching a movie nobody but me would be interested in watching and taking pictures of yarn and other things string and fiber related. I call the first one "Vegetable Curry" because it was dyed in the wool with bits of cast-off vegetable bits (carrot tops, onion skins, and the like) and some cheapo curry powder that wasn't very good but makes for a nice yellow color.


The next one is Cherry Kool-aid. I'm sure you can guess why. The color is fantastic on this one, if I do say so myself (and I do). Most of the rest of the pictures were for my Etsy shop. I'm thinking I might work on some stash photos next week so that I can update my stash on Ravelry. I also got a scale and a yarn meter, so look out, world! I can more accurately measure my string!


I haven't decided if I'm going to sell these or not. I dyed the wool by hand, used a hand-crank drum carder to process the fiber and spun them myself. I'm not sure I can accurately price that.

In other news, I've switched my focus temporarily from knitting to embroidery. I've got three projects in the queue that should be all finished fairly soon. The most recent butterfly hanky is done but for washing, the four elements napkin/hanky thing is almost done, and the star hanky is sewn but neither marked nor embroidered.

I also finished the Libya flag:


The picture is a bit crap because by the time I got to it, the sun was going down, but it's all done.

I've started a weaving project, too. I'm making either one or two ritual stoles, I'm not entirely sure yet. I'm still learning how to warp efficiently and I'm learning how to use the whole loom in all its capacity to make patterned fabrics, but so far, so good. I don't have pictures yet, but my selvedges are looking much better. One of these days, I'm going to make a badass huge blanket of awesomeness. It's a thought, anyway, or a goal or something.

So, today was spent talking about "What is a Pagan" which took me at least 20 minutes and I only barely touched on the subject and after that I went to a baby shower. I'm tired, but tomorrow I shall code characters like a mofo and get this parsimony business underway. I'm rocking the phylogenetics right now and eager to get back to assigning numbers to character states in a data matrix. I find this activity rather fun, really, and I'm convinced that this is how I know this is the right profession for me.

All in all, life is good.

No comments: