Thursday, April 09, 2015

Practicing Patience and Persistence


With the cleaning and painting of the eldest's room finally done, I've moved on to other things and those other things have mostly been quilting. There's really not much to see here, though I've quilted 14 blocks out of 81. That's 17.28% of the quilting done (nevermind the binding and finishing), but it's a fair bit more than I'd had done at the beginning of the year.

Like Iris' room, this is an exercise in patience and persistence. I've written a master's thesis and it was a daunting project that went very slowly at times, but I did finish. Certainly, I can finish a quilt.

Really, it's just a whole lot of the same thing over and over again, but the journey between here and arĂȘte oft traverses tedium. Slow progress is still progress, right?

It's getting to be too hot to quilt now, so it's time to move on to smaller projects for a few months. After having picked up quilting again I've already learned (or re-learned) that thimbles are not for the weak and that quilting hoops might be useful.

A couple random asides for this week:
  • On Monday, I was on a local radio station with our interfaith group. It went surprisingly well.
  • The eldest has once again expressed an interest to learn how to sew, but I remain skeptical. I mentioned that she wants to have learned how to sew and she seemed to think that sounded accurate.
  • I started Couch to 5k again this week. So far, so good.
  • My family is adorable and I'm keeping them. On Tuesday, Bu put a napkin on her head and said "I'M GOING TO SPAAAAAAAACE!" There was much silliness on Tuesday and everyone played along. 
I was going to find a quilting video for this week's technique, but I couldn't find a good one, so that will have to wait. This week is for practicing patience and persistence (and other virtues that start with the letter "P" like "punctuality").

I've also worked on:


2 comments:

Bekah M said...

Iris' room and quilt both look wonderful. Excellent whale eating! If you'd like to borrow a hoop, I bet I have one -- either now or in the fall when you can stand having a giant blanket on your lap again.

Unknown said...

That would be excellent and helpful, thank you.