Monday, April 16, 2007

She's a sad tomato.

I have a New Home sewing machine that I bought about 8 years ago or so and it's been acting up. The top tension breaks, especially on the zigzag stitch, it gets tangled up around the bobbin case, and it rattles. headdesk -and at a time when I've got an impending deadline. Of course, to be fair, when have I not got an impending deadline? Oy. So, I take the thing in to the shop and the lady tells me that they can clean and service it and that should help, but the end is nigh for this little machine. Better start saving now. Geez, I hate planned obsolescence. I want something that's going to last me twenty years or more. Mom's singer is likely older than I am and still running. She's got one that's muuuuuch older than that, I don't know who manufactured it, but it's the foot-pedal kind that folds down into the table. I'm tempted to start using that one. I don't want an uber digital thingamy with 9,000 stitches and a computer that's smarter than my cat. That's not saying much for the computer (or the cat), but I don't want a computer in my sewing machine at all. More parts = more stuff that breaks. I feel the same way about my car.
Simple Pictures are Best. (Amazon link)

2 comments:

Bekah M said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your machine (and so, so, sympathetic. Can we say "Singer Go Boom the Week Before Halloween?" I knew we could!)

Overstock is a place you might seriously consider looking. I got my machine (with a computer that operates around gerbil level, really, not so much cat) for well below in-store prices. Its refurbished, but they offer guarantees.

Anyway, my condolences, and if your machine is completely d-e-d dead, then you can surely use mine or (most likely) Gretta's.

Unknown said...

Hopefully, it will be ready today. If not today, then Thursday, which is a bit of a crunch, but I can get the thing cut out while I'm waiting.