Wednesday, July 04, 2007

You can take me wool, but ye'll never take me...

FREEEEEDOOOOOOOM!!!

Happy July 4th.

So far, nobody's tried to take my wool. There would be blood, wrath, and woe all around. I did, however, send off half of the Peaceful Pastures fleece to the Wooly Knob Fiber Mill. I'm very excited to see how the roving turns out. *squee*

Sock Progress! It's funny how ten hours of riding in a car from Chi-town to the 'Boro opens up knitting time. I'm about halfway down the foot and with a little bit of time and attention, it will soon be an entire sock. I decided on a mock cable to mimic the snake winding around the Rod of Asklepios. The detail at the top shows what is supposed to be the snakes' heads. There are eyelets that make it kind of look like a snake's open mouth. The plant you see is my chocolate mint and it seems to be doing rather well this year.

I finished my Flower Basket shawl! Design by Evelyn A. Clark from Interweave Knits Fall, 2004 (As if you didn't know already!). Stitched in Knitpick's Shadow, Lost Lake colorway on Knitpick's Options needles, size 6. It's unblocked in this picture and I probably won't have time to block it until next week, but there it is off the needles. I'm very pleased.

I keep losing the Art gloves for some reason. But, I found them again and here they are. One done, one just past the ribbing. Now I just have to figure out where I left off. I love how they are both just so different and lovely and soft. Here's a detail of glove #2 as well. Mmmmmmm, color.... It's nice to be just completely in love with what you're knitting. this project brings me much joy.

In other news, I've ordered the rest of the yarn I need for the Worsted Stocking Knave socks and I've got most of what I need to buy me a new sewing machine. I'm short maybe $50 to buy the Huskystar E10 by Husqvarna. I've heard nothing but good about Husqvarna and they are known for their durability. That's what I'm going for - durability. Because the company makes all kinds of small engines and motors, the company's focus seems to be engineering a good motor that will be a workhorse for the consumer. They've been engineering everything from muskets (their original product beginning in 1689) to chainsaws, lawnmowers, motorbikes, and even meat grinders and ice cream machines. They began producing sewing machines in 1872. As a point of reference, Singer patented his machine in 1851. So, they haven't been producing sewing machines as long, but have a far better reputation than Singer. And that's saying something. Singer probably has the best reputation (historically) in the U.S.. Husqvarna Viking, Singer, and Pfaff are all owned by SVP Worldwide which is, in turn, owned by Kohlberg & Company. I'm not sure about the degree to which these parent companies keep their piddy paws out of the design process, but I feel that the Swedes really know what they're doing.

No comments: