Monday, January 15, 2007

This is the part where I say, "Holy crap!"

Holy Crap!

I traced the picture from a photograph using wax-free tracing paper like I use for marking patterns onto fabric and I always feel like I'm cheating when I'm tracing. But translating a design, whether it's one that you've traced, drawn, transferred, etc., into stitches can be tricky. And of all things, I picked satin stitch. I generally hate satin stitch because I'm obsessive-compulsive and have to make sure every micron of fabric is covered just right. But this time, I didn't worry about it. I just followed my markings and did one stitch at a time. The thing that has caused my astonishment is the fact that when I finish this, it will look like a real zebra swallowtail butterfly. It just looks right. I don't know why this should shock or amaze me, but it does.
I am very proud of how my skill at this has improved over the years. I could not have done something this nice even ten years ago.

And now, for something completely different:
A friend has offered to pay me for a lace wool G-string. I'll have to either find a pattern or write one, but he's such a nice guy that I couldn't refuse. Not that I'm going to personally measure him or anything, but I'll totally knit him a lace G-string for pennies.
He asked because I showed him my Flower Basket shawl in progress. I just started on it Saturday and I'm one pattern repeat into it. The lace pattern is so very easy and looks entirely more complicated than it actually is. It's going very quickly and I love it. I'll post more on that later.
In other woolly goodness, I'm approaching the toe of my red Krokodil Opal socks. As soon as they are off the needles, I'll be starting on Miss Kell's socks. She is the Best. Person. Ever. to make things for. No joke.

Just a quick and dirty update for today. Perhaps next time, I'll have the first finished project of the year. Will it be the red Opal socks or the pair of handkercheifs?

No comments: